ActiveWin Anonymous | Create a User | Reviews | News | Forums | Advertise | Career Portal | Users Online: 370

Prom Dresses

Gear Best

Windows 8 to be completely different from earlier versions
Time: 08:30 EST/13:30 GMT | News Source: *Linked Within Post* | Posted By: Andre Da Costa

In one of the posts on the MSDN Blogs ,the product manager working along with the Windows Update team discussed about what’s coming in the next version of Windows.The post was quickly removed by Microsoft, though we were able to get the catched file of the page. He stated that the next version of Windows,would be completely different from the previous operating system released by Microsoft.

The time now is 12:14:36 AM ET.
#1 By TechLarry (4034 Posts) at 2/9/2010 9:36:41 AM
They better be careful.

Change it TOO much and corporate america will shun it like a rabid skunk.

Major change means major re-training costs, something a corp of 20,000 people or more will not tolerate.

Windows Vista/7 was a big enough problem since the old, traditional start menu could not be enabled. And Office 2007 has cause major issues with some users productivity.

#2 By bigjobs (63 Posts) at 2/9/2010 11:06:35 AM
I'm impressed that they were able to get the catched file of the page.

#3 By oldog (620 Posts) at 2/9/2010 3:40:40 PM
And now for something completely different!

#4 By gonzo (380 Posts) at 2/9/2010 6:07:06 PM
Probably different user interface. About time..

#5 By oldog (620 Posts) at 2/9/2010 8:56:35 PM
#4 Did you the whining when they changed "add/remove programs" to "programs and features" in the control panel in Vista. OMG! What happened to my old icon?!

Unless it can be configured to look exactly like XP the haters will be out in force when Win 8 arrives.

#6 By Fritzly (1341 Posts) at 2/9/2010 9:31:58 PM
#5: No matter what you do there will always be someone complaining about it; it is the human nature.

Personally I hope MS will implement a complete overhaul of the UI and not just changing some icons; eventually they could offer a "classic view" for people who would prefer to stay with the old UI.

Btw the exact phrase seems to be: "the next version will be something completly different from what folks usually expect of Windows" which does not necessary means that the UI will be revamped, it could refer to an expanded interacton of the OS with the nowadays so popular "Cloud" or something else.

Time will tell......

#7 By donpacman (749 Posts) at 2/9/2010 11:11:15 PM
Now Microsoft can really go for the Apple look.

#8 By gonzo (380 Posts) at 2/10/2010 7:54:10 AM
#5 Maybe I did (don't remember actually). But if I did, so what?

You do realize that you can change the way user interface looks without *renaming* options? How does renaming "add/remove programs" to "programs and features" make UI.. look better? It doesn't. It just makes it harder to find..

#9 By lketchum (3301 Posts) at 2/10/2010 8:34:17 AM
#8 It was named less appropriately to begin with and as "Programs and Features" it now better describes the Windows Components that under that control, may also be added, and or removed, or modified. It's still a good example of how and when "change" is disruptive where users have developed a strong physical familiarity with the interface. When IE 7/8 moved things all over creation, I felt it for a few weeks, until I adjusted and I still don't like the fact that I can't build my own tool bars and place things where I want them. It just is what it is and we learn where things are and move on.

#10 By gonzo (380 Posts) at 2/10/2010 8:47:13 AM
#9 Well, in that case, they could have renamed it to "Add/remove programs and features".

Anyway.. my point was that UI can be improved without renaming stuff.

#11 By MrHumpty (277 Posts) at 2/10/2010 9:42:59 AM
They need to add a "I hate change I don't care if you think it's better" option in the control panel. That can take you back to windows xp's look and feel.

Frankly Microsoft's biggest problem is providing backwards compatibility to such an extent that even the look and feel has to be accessible. Granted I know other forces are at work but IE continues to be substandard because Corps would raise holy hell if they had to re-tune that web app they made in 1999 to work with IE<version>.

Change things names, change the folders, change everything if studies show it's better. There are plenty of us who have much bigger problems in our lives than replacing "Add/Remove Programs" with "Programs and Features" in our skill set for managing our computer.... I mean seriously did you really bring that up rofl.

#12 By GaryM (47 Posts) at 2/10/2010 9:44:57 AM
Relax, relax! As long as they use focus groups, what could possibly go wrong?

Personally, I can't wait to see the software equivalent of "New Coke."

#13 By gonzo (380 Posts) at 2/10/2010 10:00:17 AM
#11 "There are plenty of us who have much bigger problems in our lives than replacing "Add/Remove Programs" with "Programs and Features" in our skill set for managing our computer...."

Then why change it at all..

"I mean seriously did you really bring that up rofl."

Not sure myself, but I could have mentioned it because it did take me a while to get used to it (now I just use search to get to it). It's not like I complained endlessly about it..

#14 By testman (243 Posts) at 2/10/2010 2:44:21 PM
So if you hate change, why not go back to Windows 3.1. Or maybe 1.0. What a stupid thing to say that there should be a setting to go back to XP's look and feel. Why XP, eh? Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.

#15 By Skyfrog (73 Posts) at 2/10/2010 4:10:09 PM
Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.

Ironic that you would say that after such a ridiculous rant.

This post was edited by Skyfrog on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 16:10.

#16 By awiltfong (235 Posts) at 2/10/2010 4:24:46 PM
Heh I miss Windows 95. Give me fdisk and xcopy and I could clone a PC to whatever you wanted... Those were the days :)

#17 By gonzo (380 Posts) at 2/10/2010 8:23:38 PM
#14 "So if you hate change, why not go back to Windows 3.1."

Oh please. And if you like change why not have all your icons/links/etc renamed and placed in random places every time you log on? And you can use different keyboard layout :)

The time now is 12:14:36 AM ET.