ActiveWin Anonymous | Create a User | Reviews | News | Forums | Advertise | Career Portal | Users Online: 239

Brautkleider aus Topwedding.de

ActiveWin.com: How To Search in Windows 8
Time: 00:01 EST/05:01 GMT | News Source: ActiveWin.com | Posted By: Robert Stein

Andre has posted up an article on the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, on how to search step-by-step with 12 screenshots. "If you have a lot of data stored on your Windows 8 PC’s search can be a lifesaver when looking for that one needle in your haystack. Thanks to the many search improvements in both Windows 7 and Vista, searching for files is easier than ever. Windows 8 harnesses those benefits by bringing search enhancements to this new release. With the new Start Screen, there are some added improvements for finding just what you want. "

The time now is 2:40:45 PM ET.
#1 By AWBrian (1996 Posts) at 3/12/2012 6:59:58 PM
Looks great Andre!

#2 By SidX (58 Posts) at 3/12/2012 8:20:06 PM
Does anyone else not think it's crazy that we have articles like these on a Windows enthusiast site? This is not a shot at Andre or ActiveWin. It's a shot at Microsoft and Windows 8. The fact the many sites have to report how to "Shutdown Windows 8" is simply crazy.

You should not need to google how to "shutdown Windows 8" or "search in Windows 8". This should be an obvious OS function, not hidden in some obscure menu. I am sorry guys, I know I might get beat up over this, but Microsoft has missed the mark.

Windows 8 could be the next Vista. I am not looking forward to rolling this out a crossed 700 corporate computers. Training people on Metro is going to be a nightmare. I mean I am all for change for the better. But lets have an option to slim down the changes for our users where required.

Either that or I am starting my change to the old persnickity IT guy who is starting to hate change. Win7 has been rough enough for our users. Windows 8 can wait, Windows 9 might be fine?!

#3 By rxcall (1411 Posts) at 3/12/2012 8:48:41 PM
"I am starting my change to the old persnickity IT guy who is starting to hate change."

You mean TechLarry?

#4 By TechLarry (4034 Posts) at 3/13/2012 2:12:08 PM
#2,

You're right. You aren't imaging things.

And, again RX... There's nothing wrong with change, as long as the change makes sense. Metro is an utter disaster, and I'm not the only one that thinks so by a wide margin.

#5 By IronCladLou (445 Posts) at 3/14/2012 8:33:06 AM
With every new version of Windows since Windows 95, there are a select group of people that bitch and moan about the UI changes. First it was the Start menu, then it was XP themes, and then Aero, and now Metro.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

SidX - It's not entirely obvious to the average user how to Shutdown or Search in Windows 7 either. Both functions are hidden away in a menu called the Start menu.

#6 By AWBrian (1996 Posts) at 3/14/2012 9:47:09 AM
Well, this is better than the utter disaster that is Linux or Mac.

#7 By chrishedlund (834 Posts) at 3/14/2012 9:52:00 AM
I'll take Linux or Mac over this POS Windows 8 Metro any day...

#8 By SidX (58 Posts) at 3/14/2012 2:02:46 PM
@IronCladLou - I am not normally in that select group. However for the same reason Vista was a flop, so will Windows 8. I think there is a happy medium to be found, could be in SP1 for Windows 8 or maybe it will have to be in Windows 9.

We will just have to wait and see how the market reacts. Maybe the Corporate Preview will address my concerns. I am not saying Win8 is all bad, as there are some very welcome changes. I just know some of the UI change will go over like a lead ballon in a lot of corporate environments.

Who knows..maybe not...maybe AutoCAD, Great Plains, VailTech, Hanson, Oracle, MSSQL (and all of their front end counter parts) will have really awesome Metro interfaces...my guess...probably not.

Now here is my idea - Give SharePoint a Metro App and I might just be convinced. That idea has some potential.

I jut don't see the reason to force it on customers who will spend 90 percent of their time on the desktop and not in Metro.

As for Linux..no thanks...again, until it can handle the day to day apps of the corporate world..it's a no go.

MAC - Great at home..love it! iPads - Perfect for the mobile worker (with a few key apps). But as for Mac (actually OSX...the hardware is all the same) it's the same answer as Linux...until it can handle the day to day corporate apps (or until those companies write compatible OSX apps), it is going to remain a mainly consumer environment.

...now on to more important things...like when is the ActiveWin redesign coming?

#9 By rxcall (1411 Posts) at 3/16/2012 9:34:56 AM
I own an iPad 2, and although it is a terrific data consumption device, it leaves a lot to be desired in other areas. The iPad doesn't replace anything - at least in the workplace. I always wanted it to be more. Much in the way we don't want to carry different devices for a music and phone, we shouldn't have to carry a laptop and a tablet. This is the void that Microsoft is trying to fill, and I am looking forward to it. So yes, things are going to be different, get over it. Better yet, get Samsung Window’s 7 Slate and have your cake and eat it too.

A lot of questions remain - if a win8 tablet can be docked into a larger screen with Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and more to the point, if it has enough juice to run enterprise applications then my next tablet will be Windows 8 based.

This post was edited by rxcall on Friday, March 16, 2012 at 09:42.

#10 By TechLarry (4034 Posts) at 3/19/2012 2:57:58 PM
I got ZERO problems with it being a Tablet OS. Go for it MS.

But as a desktop operating system, it is a Train Wreck.

#11 By AWBrian (1996 Posts) at 3/21/2012 4:36:13 PM
You should change your name to TechWreck.

The time now is 2:40:45 PM ET.