ActiveWin Anonymous | Create a User | Reviews | News | Forums | Advertise | Career Portal | Users Online: 263

Prom Dresses

Gear Best

Surface with Windows 8 Pro: February 9 Release, Additional Details and Accessories
Time: 11:41 EST/16:41 GMT | News Source: SuperSite for Windows | Posted By: Byron Hinson

So much for that January promise: Microsoft announced today that Surface with Windows 8 Pro won’t ship to customers until February 9. Additionally, Microsoft will release a new standalone version of Surface RT that features 64 GB of storage but no Touch Cover and a handful of new Surface accessories. “The response to Surface has been exciting to see,” Microsoft general manager Panos Panay said in a prepared statement. “We’re thrilled to continue growing the Surface family with the availability of Surface Windows 8 Pro on February 9 and by increasing the number of places customers can experience Surface firsthand.”

The time now is 12:56:04 AM ET.
#1 By rxcall (1411 Posts) at 1/22/2013 12:31:26 PM
"So much for that January promise:"

Hmmm, did MS ever officially announce the release to be the end of January or was it Paul's "sources"?

At any rate where did the promise come from?

#2 By chrishedlund (834 Posts) at 1/22/2013 12:40:57 PM
"I already provided the most complete preview of Surface with Windows 8 Pro anywhere,"
What kind of pompous @ss writes something like that?

#3 By AWBrian (1996 Posts) at 1/22/2013 12:45:03 PM
PT is so full of himself, it is pathetic. Who does he think he is, Obama?

#4 By Byron_Hinson[AW] (2047 Posts) at 1/22/2013 12:47:29 PM
Going back to the Surface news - they should have announced a price drop for Surface RT today too in my view!

#5 By chrishedlund (834 Posts) at 1/22/2013 12:50:18 PM
They should just cancel the Surface RT. Where's the value in that device?

#6 By rxcall (1411 Posts) at 1/22/2013 1:54:42 PM
#5: I kinda agree with you. I would never buy it, especially at current price point, but if the app store gets better and the price drops consicerably then I might be in (for my kids). I would get the pro for myself.

#7 By chrishedlund (834 Posts) at 1/22/2013 2:31:44 PM
Actually, it probably would make a good device for kids because the RT operating system is less prone to getting viruses. But again, I don't think the app ecosystem will ever be good enough to make it a value.

#8 By Byron_Hinson[AW] (2047 Posts) at 1/22/2013 3:02:32 PM
Can't see the Surface Pro aims either though, is is a tablet, or a pen based device, is it aimed at desktop users or basic tablet OS users, it's not powerful enough to run desktop games which means only the dire selection of titles on the Windows Store right now too. No Office bundled with an awful mail client installed.

I was looking forward to Surface Pro, but still feel it is over priced for what might get used for.

#9 By donpacman (749 Posts) at 1/22/2013 9:39:37 PM
Surface probably won't sell well. Lets see if Microsoft will increase the price like Windows 8.

#10 By rxcall (1411 Posts) at 1/23/2013 6:49:47 AM
#8: That's the beauty of it - It's a dessert topping and a floor wax.

Seriously though, I would suggest that in 5 - 10 years you will not be able to buy a device that does not have a touch interface whether desktop, laptop or tablet. This is where everything is going. Now you can argue that Microsoft's implementation sucks (I'm not sure I agree) but this is the kind of device that I want. I want a device that I can do real work on, that gives be touch capability when mobile with robust apps, and the ability to take notes in OneNote or Evernote with a pen-like stylus - not a $10 nerf dart that I have to replace every month. This device will be 4G/LTE capable, it will have a nifty docking station that provides support for multiple monitors.

Take a look at this Hybrid that uses windows 8 and Android.

#11 By tjohns34 (9 Posts) at 1/24/2013 8:10:50 AM
They would need to literally cut the price in half, AND include the touch cover, for me to consider it. I would pay $500 for the Pro with touch cover, and not a penny more. I just don't understand why they priced it so high when they are trying to compete in a marketplace of products that are half the Pro's stated price. I REALLY wanted to jump on the Surface bandwagon, but unless prices drop dramatically, I cannot justify having one.

This post was edited by tjohns34 on Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 08:11.

The time now is 12:56:04 AM ET.