August News At ActiveWindows
[ Search | Online
Chat | News Archive | Tech
News | Contact | Newsletter
31st August 1998
New Sidewinder Drivers - DOJ Expands
- 11:58 GMT - You probably all know this, but the Microsoft
SideWinder Freestyle Pro is released on September 26th.
- 22:44 GMT - Not sure if i mentioned this the other day or
not, but Microsoft have released version
3.02 of their Sidewinder Controller software. This version
adds support for both the new Force Feedback steering wheel
(Excellent btw) and the fab Freestyle Pro.
30th August 1998
New DirectControl - Tips Section Revamp
- Microsoft Movie
- 18:28 GMT - BGR
Software have released a new version (v2.0.3) of
DirectControl (419KB). Below is a little of what has been
fixed and added to this current version.
- Version 2.0.3:
- Corrected Diamond Monster Sound detection
- Added DirectX Diagnostics
- Added additional CACHESIZE settings (1240)
- Increased PREFETCH settings to include 4, 8, 10, 16, 18, 22,
24, 32, and 40 speed CDs
- Supports DirectX 6 Enumerate Ramp Rasterizer
- Supports DirectX 6 Enumerate Reference Rasterizer
- Added 'View Optimization Log' (for use with Disk
- Added 'View WinAlign Report' (displays results of WINALIGN)
- Increase conventional memory (older setting, but still
- Special thanks go out to Vern Earlywine and 'the Most
Beautiful and Wonderful Redhead in the World' :)
- 18:04 GMT - It looks like TNT are running out of ideas
for movies. They are planning a movie based on Microsoft.
- 10.02 GMT - As many of you have requested, we have split,
re-arranged and added more Registry tweaks. The Windows Registry
section is now an independent
section. Also, there are yet more Easter
Eggs for you guys to crack.
29th August 1998
New Drivers - New Article - New Review
- 00:34 GMT - Added a couple of new Graphic
and Sound card
drivers. [Source - e-mail and Voodoo Extreme]
28th August 1998
More Win98 Security Probs
27th August 1998
Site Updates - CIH - New Driver
- 09:44 GMT - The CIH virus seems to have taken a great
many victims yesterday. C|Net
has an article about how many people were infected.
- 09:43 GMT - Sorry about the lack of updates yesterday,
unfortunately I was in hospital.
25th August 1998
- 21:47 GMT - C|Net has a report
on yet more bugs - this time they come in Microsoft Access.
24th August 1998
Money 99 - New TweakIt &
- 21:28 GMT - Just a reminder that the CIH virus will
strike again for some people this Wednesday the 26th. You can
download stand alone virus checkers from McAfee, Norton and
various other anti-virus sites. A few of my friends have been
infected with it, so it is always best to check.
- 20:50 GMT - We have set a preliminary date of September
12 for our new website to be released. We'll release more details
about the site next week.
- 20:45 GMT - It seems that Microsoft have released a 90
day trial period version of Money 99. Check out the Money
99 Website for more details. [Source - MS
- 11:35 GMT - BGR
Software have posted a new version of TweakIt
Beta and a new version of the excellent DirectControl
for DirectX. Here's what's new in this version of
- Version 3.0.2 Beta 2:
- Enabled TweakIt AutoLaunch for custom configurations (i.e.
- Added Export/Import Custom TweakIt configurations (saved as .TWK
files, supports options listed on the 3Dfx, Advanced and
Advanced Cont.'d tab)
- Enabled TweakIt custom configurations (saved as .BAT files)
- Increased overall speed and performance (smaller EXE and less
- 11:33 GMT - Moved over some of the older August news to
the News Archive.
23rd August 1998
New Driver - New Tips
- 10:44 GMT - Added some new games Easter
Eggs. Please note that we will be updating our drivers section
into a more comprehensive drivers library. You can expect the
update in a few days.
- 09:43 GMT - Added a new driver to the graphics
driver section.[Source - IRC]
22nd August 1998
Word 97 Bug - New Articles
- 19:55 GMT - The Windows
98 FAQ has been updated. This update includes a number of
- 18:13 GMT - Added a couple of new
articles to ActiveWindows. Remember, if you ever write a
Windows based article and would like to see it posted somewhere on
the internet, just e-mail us.
21st August 1998
ChromEffects - New Sidewinder Drivers
- 19:58 GMT - Microsoft have released some updated
Sidewinder drivers that include support for the profiler in
DX6 along with some other smaller bug fixes.
- 13:33 GMT - It seems that various people have started
receiving their ChromEffects CD's. A reminder to MSDN members, as
we mentioned last week - ChromEffects can be downloaded at the
member downloads section of Microsoft's MSDN site.
On another note - we have been getting a few e-mails asking if we
have made a Chrome website, well the answer is no and we have no
plans to because of so few people having Chrome installed.
20th August 1998
128-Bit DUN - ChromEffects - New Themes
- New Driver
- 11:18 GMT - Added around 10 new themes in movies,
cartoons and celebs sections of our Themes
- 09:20 GMT - The main page design has been updated even
- 00:57 GMT - Added a ChromEffects links page to ActiveIE.
19th August 1998
40-Bit DUN - Windows Update Tips -
Internet Explorer 4 SP2 - Old News Section
- 23:07 GMT - Windows 98 40-Bit DUN has been released, it
obviously adds 40-Bit security to Dial Up Networking. You can
download it now from the Microsoft
FTP site. [Source - Scorched from #ie5]
- 21:53 GMT - Ignore the part at 21:12 about the Web TV
update as it wasn't released to Windows Update, expect it in
around 2 weeks or so.
- 21:12 GMT - We have been getting a lot of e-mail saying
that the Multimedia Enhancements do not show up on Windows Update
when people go there. Web TV will only show up if you either have
the previous version installed or a Web TV Card, DirectX 6.0 will
also not show up if you have installed the DirectX 6 core files
from the DirectX website.
Other Windows Update Tips
Try clicking the Show All button that is at the top of the
Windows Update Page and check to see if it says "Already
Installed" next to a component. If it does have this, then
you have the latest version. If you do not see the Already
Installed text, then you should really upgrade that component.
- 15:49 GMT - Final main page design uploaded.
- 12:44 GMT - Actually uploaded the new look front page
- 10:31 GMT - Added a new "Old
News" section to make it easier for you to get to older
site news etc.
- 10:30 GMT - Redesigned part of the main page. I will work
on the main page more at the weekend and after our new site has
- 09:29 GMT - We are getting a lot of e-mails asking us
where IE4 SP2 is on Windows Update - as many sites said this was
due to be released on the 18th. Well as we have said all along,
Internet Explorer 4 SP2 was not due in the MM update and is still
a while away from release. While I'm on the subject of e-mail -
thanks for all the great mail we have been getting these last few
18th August 1998
New Virus DAT - Old News - MM Update
- 21:46 GMT - We are working on a review of Sentinel
Returns (Which is already proving excellent) it will be posted as
soon as I've played around with the multiplayer side of the game.
- 20:37 GMT - I guess we were right when we were first with
the news that the MM Update would be released on the 18th because
- The Multimedia Updates are now up on Windows Updated for you to
download. It includes a special JScript patch for Internet
- 20:35 GMT - Windows NT 5 Beta 2 has been released to
- 10:43 GMT - Just a reminder that the Multimedia Update
for Windows 98 will be released sometime later today. The
following features should be downloadable.
- DirectX 6 support for enhanced games
- New unified Media Player
- Broadcast PC's new "Gemstar" electronic program
guide support and support for Brooktree 848/849 based TV display
- WebTV Update which fixes many problems from the early release
- 10:39 GMT - McAfee have released their new DAT files for
their Virus scanner programs. 3108 can be downloaded here.
There is now detection for the Marburg virus among others.
17th August 1998
New Drivers - NT 5 Beta 2 - WarGames
- 14:01 GMT - Windows
NT 5.0 Beta 2 is set to be released later this week, so
sources close to Microsoft say.
- 13:53 GMT - MGM have posted a fix for Wargames (The US
version has a virus in the electronic registration). Check out
their press release. The fix for the game is available here.
MGM Interactive recently learned that its
Wargames PC game shipped with the Win32/Marburg.a virus contained
in the electronic registration program. The company is working as
fast as it can to resolve the problem and expects to post a
Symantec Norton anti-virus software that will detect and disinfect
the virus. This disinfectant software should be posted by Monday,
August 17 on the Wargames website.
16th August 1998
Easter Eggs - New Netscape Release -
- 12:43 GMT - The tips section has been updated. We have
split the Easter Eggs
section into a new section. We have also updated the Bugs
& Fixes section with a few new recorded bugs.
- 00:24 GMT - Just an update on the WarGames virus found on
the gaming CD by MGM. The WarGames CD was infected with the
Marburg virus - not the CIH as i originally stated. Thanks to SkyKing
for pointing out the mis-information to me.
15th August 1998
- 18:50 GMT - Things seem a little slow in the world of
Windows at the moment, but as usual we are putting our free time
to good use. We have a very exciting new website that will launch
within the next 2 months.
14th August 1998
Windows 98 Bug Official - CIH Strikes
- 19:33 GMT - Microsoft has confirmed there is a bug
in its Windows 98 operating system which can make the date jump
two days forward or one day back in the seconds before the New
A patch is due in the next few days.
- 09:18 GMT - It seems that yet another "program"
has shipped with the CIH virus, this time it is WarGames from MGM.
The virus was in the registration part of the program, so if you
haven't run that, then you are likely to be ok.
Anyway - check out the WarGames
CIH info page for details on how to remove the virus. [Source
- Voodoo Extreme]
13th August 1998
New NT Tips - Site Link - WinZip 7
12th August 1998
Chrome Stuff - DX 6 Chat
- 12:53 GMT - We just got some clarification from Microsoft
on various Chrome news and information. It goes as following for
those of you who didn't already know.
"The SDK will be available via the
web, but the runtime will not. The runtime is to go out on
new machines that meet the hardware requirements.
By shipping Chromeffects out on new
machines, rather than to just any machine on the web, Microsoft
can assure that its running in on the hardware that meets its
requirements." [Source - Microsoft]
- 11:16 GMT - There is a DirectX 6.0 chat coming up soon,
check out the following news.
Go ahead, ask 'em anything! The DirectX team is assembling this
Friday, August 14, from 9-10 a.m. PDT (12-1 p.m. EDT, 4-5 p.m.
GMT) at MSDN Online Chat. The topic: graphics and DirectX 6.0.
This promises to be a no-holds-barred discussion of the finer
points of the latest version of DirectX. So if cutting-edge
technical conversation is your idea of a good time, you won't want
to miss it. Visit the MSDN
Web site to find out how to participate. [Source
- Voodoo Extreme]
11th August 1998
Graphic Drivers - Office 2000 - Critical
- 21:39 GMT - ChromEffects 1.0 now available for Universal
MSDN subscribers to download.
- 21:04 GMT - Windows
Update finally has the proper patch for Outlook Express
online. [Source - Justin Bloom]
- 20:54 GMT - C|Net have posted a preview of Office
10th August 1998
3Dfx DX6 - Bugs Update
- 15:06 GMT - Updated the bugs
section, fixed a couple of bad links.
- 15:05 GMT - 3Dfx have announced that the DirectX 6
drivers for Voodoo 2 cards will be released in October.
We should have optimized DX6 drivers for Voodoo2 around the
beginning of October. Most games currently available don't take
advantage of the new features in DX6. We expect to see the first
titles that really use DX 6 features to ship in time for
Christmas, and we'll have you covered by then.
Software Product Manager
9th August 1998
Large Tips Update - Bugs Section Updated
- New Driver - DX Review
- 16:11 GMT - Large revamp of the bugs
section, more bugs and information has been added.
- 16:10 GMT - We have made a large tips
update, there are now a whole load more tips for you to browse
8th August 1998
Chrome Goes Final - Articles - New
Driver - DirectX FAQ - MSG Board
- 13:10 GMT - Added a DirectX
FAQ, as usual this will be updated as more and more FAQ's are
notified via the newsgroups and mail.
- 03:08 GMT - Microsoft's Chrome has gone final (RTM in
other words). RunTimes are around 15 MB's. ChromEffects is clearly
on schedule for it's Mid August release. [Source
- 01:12 GMT - We will have a proper Message board up in the
next week or so after you all asked for one.
7th August 1998
- 13:03 GMT - Added the new "Program
Tips" section. At the moment it isn't anywhere near as
full as our other tips section, but don't worry, over the coming
weeks it will start to fill.
If you have any suggestions or tips for specific programs that you
think should be posted there, just e-mail
- 13:01 GMT - Updated the side menu for both IE and NS
- 01:29 GMT - As mentioned yesterday, the Multimedia
Enhancements are set to go up on Windows Update on August 18th.
6th August 1998
New Drivers - Windows Update News - NT
- 22:47 GMT - I've just got news that Office 2000 will now
ship next year, not this year as was previously the date touted
around the internet.
- 22:23 GMT - It seems that a number of new downloads and
updates will be hitting Windows Update on August 18th, the updates
will include DirectX 6 and Web TV Enhancements. [Source
- 20:37 GMT - Yet another new Graphic
Driver has been added, this time it's the new Intel740
5th August 1998
DirectX 6 Official Launch -
DirectX Tips Updated - New Drivers
- 14:49 GMT - Added new sections onto ActiveIE.
- 14:06 GMT - Updated the Desktop
Themes area. Most pages have new themes added.
- 11:22 GMT - We have updated and changed around the DirectX
Tips section to make it look like our other tips areas. Added
a new tip for DirectX 6.0 Users.
- 10:57 GMT - For those awaiting the first 3Dfx Voodoo 2
drivers for DirectX 6 - your wait isn't far away , read on.
According to 3Dfx, the DirectX 6 goodies are also coming up in
their next driver release. The current driver doesn't have
any DirectX 6 optimizations, but DX6 and a DX6 driver (including
multitexture and multiple-TMU support) are scheduled for the next
[Source - Voodoo
- 10:51 GMT - Microsoft have at last announced that DirectX
6 is out. The DirectX
6 Website has finally been updated, announcing that DirectX
6.0 has been released. [Source - Microsoft]
4th August 1998
DirectX 6 for Windows 98 Released - New
- 01:47 GMT - Added some new awards and split off the awards
section in to two parts.
- 01:46 GMT - Updated the sideframes for both IE and
3rd August 1998
DirectX 6.0 - Game Patch - New Sections
- 23:14 GMT - An update to the DirectX 6 news. It
should be available for Windows 98 via Windows Update in the next
few days or so.
- 22:47 GMT - DirectX
6.0 has been publicly released, this download is for Windows
95 users only. [Source - BetaNews]
- 21:31 GMT - Creative Labs
have begun shipping their latest line of sound cards last Friday.
The new Sound Blaster Live! cards, which support Creative's
much-touted Environmental Audio Extensions and home theater
capabilities, should begin appearing in stores in the US soon,
Europe towards the end of the month. [Source -
- 13:44 GMT - BGR
Software have released a new version of their DirectX control
Here is the latest on this new version:
- Version 1.0.44:
- Full DirectX 6 support
- Added 'CHUNKSIZE' setting to VCACHE options
- Added 'Enable Print Screen' option for DirectDraw applications
- Added Enable/Disable status checkmarks for all DirectDraw
settings (standard and advanced)
- Added VCACHE checkmarks to display current settings
- Added Matrox Millennium I / II Display Properties support
- 13:40 GMT - We have a number of new sections that should
come online towards the end of the week - these will bring you
even more tips and tricks.
2nd August 1998
- 20:16 GMT - Just a note for all those people who have
been e-mailing us, asking if we need any testers for our new
website. Currently the website is nowhere near complete - and only
the group of sites that are involved in it will be running the
tests until we reach a "good working site" stage.
1st August 1998
New Drivers, DirectX News
- 11:54 GMT - Updated the Graphic
Drivers section, added the new rendition drivers that were
released yesterday. Remember, if there are any drivers that we are
missing or that you think should be added to our drivers area -
just e-mail us
Do you have any Windows based news? - just e-mail