Site News - Chrome Newsgroup - DX 6 Goes RTM
- 21:27 GMT - DirectX 6 has been released to manufacturing
and will appear on public websites in the next few days.[Source
- 08:45 GMT - We have a new website coming up very soon, if
there are any websites out there interested in joining us - e-mail
- 08:33 GMT - We should have a few new reviews up before the
day is out.
30th July 1998
New Drivers - New Reviews - New Article
- DirectX 6 will appear on the web sometime tomorrow afternoon.
- Expect some major new drivers sometime tomorrow.
- Follow up article
based on the Microsoft and Anti-Trust Action article we released
earlier in the week.
- Two new reviews have been added to our reviews
section - make sure you check them out.
29th July 1998
XML Notepad Released - OE Patch Flaw
- Microsoft have released beta 1 of the XML
Notepad. As per usual - make sure you check out the release
notes, it's a pretty cool program.
28th July 1998
Outlook Express Patch Released - New
Articles - Site News
- We have dropped the main page where you previously had to select
what version of the site to use "Frames or No Frames". You
know are automatically sent to the framed version of the site (It
was by far the most used) but for those of you who would like to use
the no-framed version of the site, either click on the "NO
FRAMES" button at the top right or click on the "MAXIMIZE
FRAME" button (This one is the coolest).
If you don't like this new method - please e-mail
us and we'll see what we can do about it.
- The Fix for the Outlook Express File Attachment Issue has been
released - it is now avaliable on Windows Update.
27th July 1998
New Winzip Released
- A few new tips have been added. The ones
marked with "New" are the latest additions.
- Go to the Downloads
section and you will see we have added a few hundred more downloads.
- Fixed a few download problems.
26th July 1998
New Drivers - New Article
- Added a note for the next IRC chat
which we'll all be going to.
- Another new driver has been added to the Graphic
Drivers section. We'll start to add a couple of new sections
here soon including "Printer"
and "Accessories" drivers.
25th July 1998
Site Updates -- UK Virus Problem
- As you may have noticed - we have started to have advertisements
placed over the website, this helps us pay for the server, so if you
see an ad that takes your fancy, please click on it. Don't worry
about the fact that the ad banner is showing up the same adverts at
the moment - it will be like this for about a day or so.
- For our readers in the UK: The July issue of PC Gamer had a virus
on one of it's two CD's. The virus is one of the worst possible
(It's the Win95.CIH. virus that tends to be set off on the 26th of
the month). For those of you who are worried about the possibility
of being infected - go to the following website.
and download the evaluation version of their software for
Windows95/98. It is one of the few Anti-Virus program that can
24th July 1998
- Not too many updates are about today - things seem to have slowed
down over the last couple of days in the world of Windows. Don't
worry - we're putting this free time to good use, ActiveIE is
getting a big face lift over the next few days.
- We are still looking for a few Article, Features and Review
writers to join us - if you are interested, please e-mail Byron
23rd July 1998
New Drivers - New Theme
- The Guides section has been
updated - various new newsgroups have been added.
22nd July 1998
Chrome Site and News - Awards Updated
- Well, it looks as if Chrome is going to be very good (If you have
a 300Mhz PC that is). Microsoft have launched the official ChromeEffects
website. The site includes information on what Chrome is, a
Chrome White Paper and a number of images.
- Added another award and a
number of comments about our site. We can't add all the comments
about our site that you have sent in to this page, unfortunately the
awards section is getting rather large.
21st July 1998
New Reviews - Chrome Download Date - FAQ
- We have added 3 new movie reviews - just scroll down and check
them out on the right hand side. Armageddon, Lethal Weapon 4, Small
- ChromeEffects, which is used to develop CHROME technology will be
ready for download for software developers for free on August 17. No
news yet on the download size - but as soon as we know, we'll post
20th July 1998
Links Updated - Site News
- Updated the Links area -
added a couple of new sites.
- Remember that the Tech
News section is now online - the daily updates will be starting
from today onwards.
- Those on the mailing list will know of a few problems that were
brewing yesterday, thankfully they seem to have passed over for the
18th July 1998
Tech News Online - SideFrame Fixed - CSS
Fixed For NS4
- Added the Tech
News Section. This section will be updated throughout the day,
(No Joke) everyday.
- Updated the sideframe, fixed the problem with the horizontal
- Fixed the CSS file because i forgot about a certain Netscape 4 CSS
17th July 1998
CSS Updated - New Articles - New Drivers
- The CSS files used over the whole site have been updated thanks to
your requests to be able to increase the font-size's if you run in a
much higher resolution. If your in Internet Explorer 4/5 - just
click on VIEW | FONTS and increase them from there.
- We have added a couple more articles
to the website.
- Starting at some point over the weekend we will have a news
section coming online which will bring you the latest technology
news throughout the day.
16th July 1998
- We will be having an online chat in #activewindows on the
efnet IRC channel at 7PM EST today if you would like to join us.
15th July 1998
Netscape 4.5 Released - New Articles and
- Preview 1 of Netscape 4.5 is out on Netscape's
FTP site and no we won't support it, for the simple reason that
its a preview release and some of it's html layout is very buggy at
- New articles have been added to
- We have updated our awards page to add
a few more of the awards we have received over the past 2 weeks or
14th July 1998
Dark-Design Stuff - New Tips - Downloads
- Just a note that Byron has left Dark-Design and now just works on Design
The Future...Ok the plug is now over.
- We've done a slight revamp of the downloads
area - over the coming weeks more and more files will be added.
If you have any suggestions on how to improve our downloads area -
- Added a new Multimedia
tip - showing how to make sure your speakers are set-up properly
in Windows 98.
12th July 1998
Looking for your reviews - New Tips - New
Articles - Hardware Compatibility List On-Line
- We have started creating the "Reviews" section where our
readers can submit reviews that so many of you wanted. If you are
interested in submitting reviews for this new section - here are a
few things you'll need to know.
We need reviews of Software products - both Shareware and Full price
ones - perhaps even applications such as "Microsoft Media
Hardware reviews - such as a 3Dfx or a Basic Graphics card.
If you are still interested - please e-mail
us and we'll get in contact with you asap.
- There are a couple of new articles
online which relate to Multi-Monitors on Windows. Both are
11th July 1998
- Microsoft have launched a Windows
98 tips area on microsoft.com. Some tips from our site should be
starting to appear there too.
- Various new reviews have been added - including one of the first
ever reviews of the game "Heart
Of Darkness" 6 years in the making.
10th July 1998
New Drivers Section Online
- I have added the new Device
Drivers section to ActiveWindows. If there are any files that i
am missing - remember to e-mail
me with all the details.
- As usual a number of new tips
have been added.
- I'll have some new reviews up later on today - including the
Movies "The X-Files" and "Wild Man Blues" along
with the game "Heart Of Darkness".
9th July 1998
Drivers Section, Media Player 5 Reminder
- In the next couple of days i'll be adding the "Drivers"
section that so many of you asked for after filling in the
questionnaire. It will concentrate mainly on Sound and Graphic card
8th July 1998
New Tips, New Matrox Drivers etc
- Updated the Tips section by adding the "New" logo image
to show when new tips have been added or updated.
7th July 1998
Questionnaire Update and Windows 98 Service
Pack - New News
- Thanks to the 258 of you who filled in the Questionnaire - we have
got a lot of useful information to sort through now - we've already
removed the Flash animation you asked for - and added a temporary
image in its place until I design something better.
- Some of you (5 of you<g>) have asked if we will add
support for Netscape 4 - well although we won't make it a
priority to add support - if you click on the "Frames"
version of the site with Netscape 4, you'll get one error and then a
special NS4 frames version of the site - it doesn't have the kind of
Dynamic HTML that the IE version does but it does allow you to view
the site a little easier than the Non-Frames version.
If you like this Netscape version of the site - and would like us to
make it permanent (In other words get rid of that error when you
click on the frames version) then e-mail Byron@activeie.com.
If you find any problems, apart from the known error with the
"Themes" index - you can e-mail me on those also.
6th July 1998
- Hi all. We have a short Questionnaire
we would like you to fill in if you have the time - this will help
us make the site better for you all.
5th July 1998
3rd July 1998
Applying for some Chrome, New Driver Updates
- ActiveGuide Reviews are now back online
- Just a note to everyone who keeps e-mailing us about Microsoft
Chrome - you can still currently apply to beta test it. You
MUST have a Pentium II 300+ PC to test it - if you don't there is no
point in applying as you will not be able to run or use it at all.
Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- ActiveGuide will now not have it's redesign complete until
September 5th. Reviews will still be updated.
2nd July 1998
Windows 98 Service Pack 1 Coming?
- Note: We are looking for someone to write a WebTV
section for ActiveWindows - if you are interested and would
like to know more - please e-mail Byron.
- Tutorials And More Tip Coming Up
Some of you may think that the Tips section is not sufficient enough
for power-users. We are getting another section up called Tutorials.
We are going to teach you a bit with step-by-step tutorials for more
complicated things like macros and batch files. If you can write
batch files, macros, INF files or Windows scripting and would like
to share with other Windows users, send them in to Wayne.
- We also still have lots of space for more tips. The Tips section
will be expanded to at least 2 or 3 times the current size. All tips
from you are welcomed. Send them in and we will list your name under
1st July 1998
- Creative Labs have released some new Soundblaster Drivers
for Windows 98. They are for SB 16/32/AWE32/AWE64. Pick them up here.
- Just a note that there is no need to send me mail saying that some
ActiveGuide links are bad. The ActiveGuide site is getting a major
facelift. Reviews should start appearing tomorrow.
- I apologize for not being able to reply to your e-mails almost
straight away, here is the reason. I (Byron) tend to get over 100
e-mails a-day that need replying to, this can take up a lot of time
so I sometimes leave it until late at night before I reply unless
the e-mails are vitally important. Hope this helps you understand
Do you have any Windows based news? - just e-mail
Click Here For Older
Here at ActiveWindows it is easy to get in contact with us.
If you need help, you may contact us at either of these two addresses:
Wayne - general queries
such as design work, sounds, layout and load time.
Byron - additional
information such as linking information, grammatical errors, applying
to help out on ActiveWindows and the main page layout.
AskUs - This e-mail
address lets you get in touch with us if you have a problem with
Windows 98. Check out the tips section for more on this.
All published materials are Copyrightę
Properties of ActiveWindows. This
site is not related to the Microsoft Corporation in any way. Windows
and the Windows logo are copyright the Microsoft Coporation.
ActiveWindows is an independent site. The
information sources here are obtained from series of hard work &
research. If you should want to reproduce any material, please contact
us beforehand we'll be glad to help you out.